December Update: Keep America Covered!
Champaign County Health Care Consumers (CCHCC) needs your support, and your active and ongoing involvement in our efforts to protect the health security of millions of Americans. The threats in Congress to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA), cut Medicaid, and turn Medicare into a voucher program are very real, and the work to do these things has started in earnest. If these threats become a reality, we will see something we have rarely seen in our nation's history - a march backward in time. The result will be a massive humanitarian crisis. The stakes are very high, and very real. The first thing Congressional leaders plan to do is to dismantle the ACA. This could happen within the month of January 2017. We have no time to waste. We need you, and thousands of individuals like you, to take action today.
Marketplace ("Obamacare") Open Enrollment: 11/1/16 - 1/31/17Marketplace ("Obamacare" / ACA / healthcare.gov) Open Enrollment Period begins November 1, 2016 and goes through January 31, 2017. The Open Enrollment Period is when anyone can go to the Marketplace to buy a plan or, if they are returning consumers, switch to a new plan. We recommend that everyone check their Marketplace coverage because premiums and benefits change year to year. And this year, consumers will be automatically enrolled into a different plan if their old plan has been discontinued.
CCHCC's Alert about the Hearing Health Crisis
On Thursday, August 11, Champaign County Health Care Consumers and our Medicare Task Force held a press conference to discuss the crisis of access to affordable hearing health care in our community and a recently released national study that depicts hearing health problems as a significant public health issue.
Also, if you are looking for affordable hearing aids, check out CCHCC's Low Cost Hearing Aid Resource Guide to see if any of these options works for you.
June Update: We've got you covered!
You may not know that Champaign County Health Care Consumers (CCHCC) is the only organization in Champaign County that:
- Helped prepare our community for the expansion of health insurance under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) by holding annual Community Education Sessions to help educate consumers;
- Has been doing Medicaid and Marketplace enrollments continuously and without interruption (despite a lack of grant funding) since the Affordable Care Act's (ACA's) first Open Enrollment in 2013;
- Has trained, experienced and certified bi-lingual staff who can help consumers with enrollment, education, and counseling for any kind of health insurance, including All Kids, Medicaid, Medicare, Medicare Advantage, Medicare Part D, Marketplace plans, employee health insurance, and retiree health insurance;
- Works with consumers to not only help them get coverage, but to get the care that they need; and
- Makes our services available to anyone, regardless of income or age.
This means that anyone - young or old or in between; employed or unemployed; retired; low-income, middle-income, high income, or no income; currently insured or uninsured - can come to CCHCC and we will help them figure out what coverage is available to them, and we will help them get covered! Read more...
February Update: Protect the Mahomet Aquifer!
Champaign County Health Care Consumers (CCHCC) needs your help and support in our ongoing efforts to protect the Mahomet Aquifer from the threat of toxic contamination. Protecting the Mahomet Aquifer is of the greatest importance because the Aquifer is our only source of water. When you turn on your faucet, you are getting water from the Mahomet Aquifer.
Despite recent significant victories in the effort to protect the Mahomet Aquifer from toxic waste, drinking water for more than 750,000 residents in 14 counties in Central Illinois is still under threat of contamination from toxic chemicals because of the greed of a single corporation - PDC/AREA Disposal, which owns the Clinton Landfill that sits above the Mahomet Aquifer. Check out CCHCC's February 2016 update.